I saw In Search of Memory a bit ago, a documentary/memoir-ish about Eric Kandel, a nobel peace prize winner in medicine. He oversees this huge huge neuroscience book that I oggled in undergrad so it was very cool to see the man that I had a nerd-crush on for 5 years now. And, well, his lab basically made a ton of advances in the biological basis of learning and memory that you totally take for granted when you're a student. So awesome.
I also started my drawing/painting class and it's going so well! Maybe it was just one good day, but still. I love it.
As for school, I'm on the pediatrics inpatient ward. I actually really like pediatrics in an academic sense (kids are rather not straightforward medically), but I am not a fan of sick kids, some of which will never get better. But overall it's pretty okay, the residents ignore us a lot which has its good and bad points and I am much more with it and MUCH better at presenting/writing patient notes now so it's nice to feel half-competent for once. I still obviously have a hugely long way to go, but I'll bask in whatever sunlight I can find. I just wish the day didn't start with a 5:11am alarm clock....
It's around the time to come up with next year's schedule and that is terrifying. BUT, I have it vaguely figured out and it consists of a lot of psychiatry in various institutions if they take me (hoping for Columbia, NYU, and U Washington in Seattle), core requirements at my school (ER, Medicine, etc), and a month or two away helping people, and a few months of a wicked awesome backpacking trip. Yes. But..... this MAY likely entail me moving back home at some point in the year to make this financially feasible. We'll see.
No comments:
Post a Comment